When was the last time you picked up a book and read for pleasure? Many people discover the joy of reading in childhood, but some seem to drop the habit as they grow old. Changing priorities, increasing responsibilities, and lack of time may be some of the reasons why many are no longer reading for pleasure as often as they used to. If you have not read a book it in a long while, now is a good time as any to rediscover the positive things about reading.
1. Broadens your knowledge. You could learn many things just by reading. You stumble on novel ideas or get introduced to interesting topics that could encourage you to learn more about them.
2. Exposes you to different cultures. Reading exposes you to different cultures you may not even be aware of. It enables you to learn more of diverse cultures and develop an understanding of the uniqueness of each one.
3. Improves concentration. Do you have problems concentrating, especially when doing tedious or time-consuming tasks? Consider reading as an opportunity to improve your concentration skills. Finishing a book or any reading material page by page is an exercise in attention and focus. You develop your ability to focus as you read more.
4. Lowers stress levels. Research indicates that reading for at least 30 minutes each day is one of the best ways to achieve relaxation. The next time you begin to feel overwhelmed by stress, pick up a book and enjoy reading even for just half an hour.
5. Promotes lifelong learning. Learning and reading are often interconnected. Cultivating the habit of reading encourages self-driven and continual pursuit of learning. It hones you ability to acknowledge and process new ideas or information.
6. Relaxes you. There is a sense of serenity in reading. You can briefly escape from the noise and chaos around you into the soothing pages of a good book. When things start to get loud and you become increasingly stressed out, take a break and read a few pages. It can relax both your mind and body.
7. Introduce you to interesting places. The joy of reading includes traveling to distant places from the comfort of your cozy nook. It sparks your creativity and imagination as you visualize the various places described in a book. You can even picture yourself in those places and perhaps find more inspirations to travel.
8. Widens your perspective. Do you often see things in black or white? Do you have trouble finding the middle ground? One of the good reasons to read is that it can widen your perspective. It gives you an opportunity to discover and explore different points of views.